Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Sesame Street: Old School

Remember when Sesame Street looked like this? The weather has been wickedly cold here in NYC, so we have using our Netflix account a little more than usual. We recently rented Sesame Street: Old School Vol. 1 & 2, which contain selections from some of the Sesame Street episodes of 1969-1979.

Did you know that Oscar the Grouch started out as an angry orange monster?

Remember Barkley the Dog?

I cannot remember Oscar being orange, but I was surprised at how much of Sesame Street I could remember from my childhood. My girls both told me that they like the old shows much better than the "new" Sesame Street, and they got a kick out of the clothes and hairstyles that go along with the 70's. There are also several characters in the older editions that still appear in up to date episodes of Sesame Street-so they had a fun time identifying them.

Be aware that the video has a disclaimer at the beginning stating that the shows are meant for adult entertainment, and "may not suit the needs of" today's children. I am not sure why they threw that in there. Oscar is a little more ornery in the "Old School" collection but that was really all I found objection with (well, that and the fact that Big Bird is somehow significantly more annoying :)

If you want more vintage viewing, try out:


If you are not a Netflix fan, you can also purchase these from Amazon.

No comments: