Wednesday, March 11, 2009

St. Patrick's Day Preparations

We are getting ready for St. Patrick's Day around here. My kids keep on reminding me that it is next! Tuesday. In our house, we have a leprechaun tradition. My kids wake up to a rainbow fruit parfait, and a little pot of gold (a small bag of Rolo's or chocolate gold coins) left by the lucky Leprechaun.



Some of you may remember the picture above from last year's St. Patrick's post.
Now that my kids are a little older, they have started expressing more interest in this Leprechaun and where he comes from. My oldest daughter insisted this year that we paint some rainbows and put them up in the house, so the Leprechaun will have an easier time finding us. This has been a fun addition to our St. Patrick's Day tradition.


We painted these with left over packing paper from our last move. I love these big sheets of packing paper. It is perfect for little ones to paint on. If you are looking for a cheap way to purchase large sheets of paper, this is definitely the way to go. I bought a huge (heavy!) stack from a local moving supplies store for a great price (I want to say it was less than $20). I like to use painter's tape to affix the paper to the table so it does not move around.

Wondering what to make for dinner on the big day? I was dreaming up kiwi smoothies, spinach noodle fettuccine alfredo, green beans and key lime pie for dinner. But, I think we may go more traditional this year. My friend Jaime at Sophistimom has a great post on serving a traditional Irish meal for St. Patrick's.

image via sophistimom

Doesn't this look amazing? There is even a post on how to make the Irish Soda Bread.

Here are some fun St. Patrick's Day crafts, projects and printables.

Have fun!

1 comment:

Mary Martha said...

You're so talented. I love readying your blog. i hope the family is well.