Thursday, March 27, 2008

Jelly Beads


Just in case you still have some jelly beans hanging around your house......here is one last Easter-themed activity idea. My girls and I were inspired by this craft idea in Family Fun magazine to create these edible accessories.
This is what you will need:

  • Needle
  • Button Thread (you can use normal sewing thread but button thread is easier)
  • Jelly Beans
Begin by pre-drilling a hole in your selected jelly beans to make a "bead." This will help your child be able to thread the jelly bean through. Next, thread a needle with button thread, and tie a large knot at the end of the string. You (or your child, if appropriate) will then begin stringing the jelly beans.
The inclusion of the needle in this craft makes it really only appropriate for older children. With that said, my 4-year-old still helped out considerably in the creation of her necklace. She picked the colors, the pattern, and helped to string the jelly beans- after I had pushed them past the needle.
My six-year-old loved putting together her necklace- and she is probably the ideal age to do this activity. Be forewarned that this is kind of a sticky activity. You need to have some water nearby to wash the needle off periodically when it gets really goopy from jelly bean "insides." The end product is very cute-much more appealing than the traditional fruit loop jewelery.

If you have not already entered the Sensible Foods give-away, read the following post and do it!

3 comments:

Bippert Family said...

What a cool idea! I can't wait to have a little girl to do stuff like that with! Do the jelly beans color your skin if you wear them too long? (Not that it's a bad thing necessarily...)

Ricki said...

What a fun idea! I don't have a daughter yet, but I'm tempted to make myself some snack-jewelery.

Adrienne S. said...

Hi Theresa,
I am so happy that you enjoyed the jelly bean bracelets! Thanks for passing on the idea and sharing this treat with your readers. As an editor at FamilyFun magazine I produce this section, and I can’t tell you how inspiring it is to see how readers like you enjoy — and create! — these projects with your kids. So keep on reading and enjoy those wearable treats!
Happy Spring,
Adrienne Stolarz, Senior Associate Editor, FamilyFun