Monday, March 31, 2008

New York Documentary


If you live in NYC, or plan to visit any time soon- I recommend you see this 8-disk series by Ric Burns. Ric is the brother of Ken (creator of the PBS Civil War series which is also phenomenal.)
Eight disks is a big time commitment, I know. It took us over 3 months to get through the whole series. The first four disks were my favorite. Disks 5-7 waxed political at times (which I have little tolerance for in historical documentaries) but in all, were still very informative. The eighth disk involved the circumstances surrounding the creation of the World Trade Center, and the events surrounding 9/11. This brought back some very raw emotions from that day, but I did not feel that it was over done.
In all, a very informative series. Many local libraries carry this collection so check there first. Then try Netflix or Blockbuster.com.

1 comment:

Holly said...

Yep! We are watching it right now. I love it. it really helps me to have a greater appreciation for the city and those who have sacrificed so much to build it. Its amazing what vision can do.