Monday, April 7, 2008

What's For Dinner?


Readers: We have a new contributor to Citrus! Every Monday, Holly will be providing us with a week's worth of dinner ideas, and a grocery list to boot! I know our family is in desperate need of dinner inspiration, so I am eager to try these out. Holly will also be providing us with product reviews. Thanks for joining Citrus, Holly!

Also, the winner of the Sippigrip give-away was Doreen G.-Congrats!


I have a love/ hate relationship with the question "What's for dinner?". When my husband walks in the front door and those three words come out of his mouth I reply with either "Why, Tri Color Pepper Quiche of course!" or I roll my eyes at him and say nothing. The difference between my responses depends on how prepared I am.

That is to say, whether or not I have a meal plan for the week and what’s in the fridge. Certainly having a busy day doesn’t help but when you already have a meal in mind and the ingredients to make it, life is a lot easier!

I have been in search of a website or blog that would just lay down 7 dinners and the ingredients that are needed. That exists- the problem is that the meals are either complicated and they use ingredients that are just too expensive for my monthly budget or they are affordable and easy but include meals like Franks and Beans and canned soup.

So...I thought I would just do this myself and share it with whoever is like me and wants some help getting dinner on the table 7 days a week.

Every Monday I will post a menu of 7 meals, the recipe for each one and your shopping list. I will try to use ingredients that are similar so when you buy a bunch of Basil you don’t simply use two leaves and throw the rest away. Also, the recipes are listed in order according to which keep the longest. So a leafy green salad would be first and a Vegetarian Chili might be last.

So here it is, 7 meals, veggies present, budget in mind, and a list to take with you to the store. What more can you ask for?

I can't help you make time for cooking- your on your own there :)

This Week’s Menu
Crunchy Noodle Salad
Spring Risotto with Asparagus and Peas and Herb Baked Chicken
Curried Red Lentil Stew
Tri Color Pepper Quiche
Vegetarian Fajitas
Tomato Basil Soup with Cheesy Bread
Creamy Broccoli Soup with Popovers

-Holly



4 comments:

Lynell said...

Love the blog. Thanks for the weeks worth of dinner ideas. Boy it makes such a difference to have a plan. When you actually have the ingredients and new recipes, cooking dinner can be a fun part of the day, instead of a burden. Keep up the good work!

Theresa said...

Thanks again for the recipes, Holly. I made the broccoli soup tonight (I know it is out of order, but I had a bunch of broccoli that would not make it until Friday:).
It was awesome. And I was a little skeptical- I am not usually a fan of broccoli soup b/c of the texture. The fact that it is a puree, and the addition of nutmeg made it great. My kids didn't LOVE it but they at least tried it and dipped their popovers in it.

Holly said...

Glad you like the menu and the broccoli soup, Theresa. I have it on file since I made it and my husband actually liked it. (At his age he still says "Broccoli? Yuck." )

Elise said...

Holly, this may change my life. I have been feeling so uninspired with dinners lately! We don't eat a lot of meat, so I'm happy to see that you have a lot of veggie options. I don't know where you find the time to do this, but thanks so much for sharing!