Thursday, June 26, 2008

Scholastic Summer Reading Program


Today is the last day of school here in NYC! Hurray! This year has felt like a marathon. I am not used to having my kids in school for so long, and I have been really looking forward to us having more time together over the summer months. Undoubtedly, the novelty of being home with mom will wear off in about a week, so I have been on the hunt for some good summer activities to keep my little munchkins entertained.

If this summer is anything like last, we will be spending many-an-afternoon in the local library and bookstore seeking refuge from the heat (and seeking a clean bathroom :) after a morning trip to the playground.

This past year, both of my daughters have become bookworms, and I plan to keep this trend alive over the summer. One way I hoping to accomplish this is by having my girls participate in a summer reading program. Many local libraries have one (NYC does). This year we will be participating in the NYC public library program and the Scholastic Summer Reading program. Both are free, and free is good.

I particularly like the Scholastic Reading Buzz program, because it allows you (or your child) to track reading progress on-line. After reading any book (it does not have to be a Scholastic Book) you can enter it into your reading log. For every 4 books your child reads and logs- Scholastic will donate a book to the Room to Read program. Since the year 2000, the Room to Read program has established more than 5,100 libraries in developing countries- which is awesome! Reading to benefit the lives of others is an exciting concept to my girls, and one more reason for them to curl up with a good book. Another major perk of the Scholastic Summer Reading Buzz Program: after logging his/her first 4 books, your child is automatically entered into the Read and Dream Disney vacation give-away. What child doesn't want to win a Disney family vacation?

I have added a link to the Scholastic Summer Reading Buzz program on the sidebar of citrus, so check it out, and get your kids reading!! BTW, if you live in NYC or plan to visit anytime soon, you should stop by the Scholastic Soho Store. Below is a picture of my daughters and I there this past winter, enjoying some good books on the cushy tail of the giant in-house dinosaur. There are books, art kits, and games galore. Plus, it is only a block away from Dean and Deluca and Crate and Barrel- need I say more?

No comments: