Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Healthy Food Finds

My 4 and 6-year-old girls are pretty willing to try just about anything food-wise. My 4-year-old even loves green peppers. So, it has been quite an adjustment getting used to the eating habits of my 21-month-old son. He is just about the pickiest thing out there....and he is super skinny to boot. So, if I can get an morsel of nutrition in him- I am doing cartwheels and backflips.

Here is a sampling of what has worked in our house lately with my picky eater:
You are probably familiar with the Clif brand. They are the makers of Luna Bars and of the standard Clif bars. Very tasty treats as far as energy bars go- and widely available, you can even get them at Walmart.
I was excited to see that Clif had branched out to some products specific to children.
We have only ordered the Chocolate Brownie, Chocolate Chip, and Peanut butter flavored Zbars (no wonder he likes these:). Zbars also comes in Blueberry, Apple Cinnamon and Honey Graham flavors, which I intend to try next. These bars are organic, have 3 grams of fiber, and are fortified with 12 vitamins and minerals (including Iron and Calcium). My son loves these, and my daughters beg for them too.


Another item from the Clif Kid line that we are fans of is the Clif Twisted Fruit. These "taste like Twizzlers, only better"- that is a quote from my 6-year-old. This product has no artificial colors, no added sugar, no preservatives, and really does taste great. We have only tried the Strawberry flavor, but the others: Sour Apple, Pineapple, Tropical Twist, and Grape all sound fantastic.

I ordered these Clif products through Amazon, because it is currently the cheapest price I can find (and the most convenient) a box of 48 Zbars goes for $25.38 , and an 18 count box of Clif Twisted Fruit goes for $13.32.

FruitaBu is another product that has been a hit at our place lately. These are essentially a Fruit-By-the-Foot with an organic twist. So that means no preservatives, no added colors, no added sugars. We have tried the grape and strawberry, which were both awesome and passed the picky eater test. They taste better than a typical Fruit Roll-up product- much more like actual fruit. These are the same price (per roll) at FreshDirect (if you live in NYC) than they are in bulk at Amazon.

Another snack our kids love (and fight over) are LARABARS, but that is another post entirely. I will do that one later.

Is there a healthy snack (packaged or homemade) that your kids just love? Let me know about it! I am always looking for new ideas.

add to kirtsy

2 comments:

Tish Solomon said...

Sarah loves sliced apples with peanut butter to dip them in.

Sherie said...

Ace loves to wrap baby carrots in slices of turkey before eating them. It totally grosses me out, which is probably why she loves it so much.