Friday, November 21, 2008

Friday Book Review: Run, Turkey, Run!


by Diane Mayr
illustrated by Laura Rader

With so many books about the Thanksgiving turkey getting away, I'm surprised any of us actually have turkey on the 4th Thursday in November.  I wasn't sure about reading so many turkey escape books...would they lead my children to protest the consumption of the holiday bird?  Too bad for the turkey at our house, Thanksgiving dinner is way too delicious.  

Run, Turkey, Run! is one of my favorite fugitive turkey picture books.  As the family prepares the rest of the Thanksgiving meal, the farmer sets out after the turkey.  Turkey goes on the run. "If Turkey rolls in the mud, will the farmer think he's a pig?"  The kids will enjoy yelling, "No!!  Run, Turkey, run!"  The turkey also tries hiding out as a duck and a horse, with the farmer getting more bedraggled with every step.  


I really like this craft because it illustrates exactly what I'm most thankful for-- our family!  Use the handprints from everyone in the family to make the feathers!  I'm sure you can figure out how to make it on your own, but here are the directions just in case.

Happy Thanksgiving!
book image via buy.com

No comments: