Friday, March 6, 2009

Read It: How Ben Franklin Stole the Lightning


by Rosalyn Schanzer

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means.  I think the best way of doing good to the poor is not making them easy in poverty but leading or driving them out of it."

-Benjamin Franklin

Politics and the economy have been on my mind lately.  Yours too?  Reading is usually an escape from everyday worries for me, so I'll spare you here.  Although I shared a quote from Benjamin Franklin's political views, this book covers only his life as a scientist and inventor.  A fast moving history book with interesting (and entertaining) pictures.  

Best for school age children, but my three year old did enjoy the pictures.

Want to do more with the book?  We don't have cable, so we occassionally enjoy watching "Peep and the Big Wide World," online.  It's a kids' cartoon with a little bit of science mixed in.  I was particularly impressed with the website's full page of ideas for science experimentation with kids.  There are scientific experiments everywhere!

"A house is not a home unless it contains food and fire for the mind as well as the body."  

–Benjamin Franklin

image via rosalynschanzer.com

No comments: