Monday, February 9, 2009

For Your Sweetheart With A Sweet Tooth


Just in case you need a reminder, its Valentine's Day this Saturday. One more excuse to make some sweet treats. I bet you think that's all I cook at my house- don't worry we will get back to real food next week. But for this week, I thought I would resurrect some of my favorite treats that would compliment your candle lit dinner. Need an idea for that? Steak Dinner. Its the one time per year we eat steak in our house and I am not sure why since its so easy:

Steak- Do this last when the table is set, salad is chilling and potatoes are in the oven and just about done. Broil with a pinch of dried rosemary and crushed garlic. And if you would like, add some blue cheese to the tops just before the steaks are done.

Oven Fries- Wash and cut potatoes (3 large potatoes) like this. I like to leave the skin on. In a bowl, stir the cut potatoes with olive oil (2 Tbsp) and salt (1 tsp) and any other seasonings you would like. I like the Spice Hunter All purpose Chef's Shake. Spread some more olive oil (1 Tbsp) on a cookie sheet and spread the potatoes across it. Bake at 425 degrees for about 25 minutes. make sure to periodically stir/turn the potatoes for even baking.

Green Salad- Don't skimp here. This is the part of dinner that will wipe away the "red meat/large amounts of chocolate V-day guilt". Buy some really nice greens and that dressing that you have been drooling over in the grocery aisle but can't fathom spending $7 for.

Molten Lava Cake- Make a few extra cakes just in case the volcano "explodes" as you try to plate the cake. It does take some practice to plate them without a leak.

Simple Fruit Cobbler
- No, its not chocolate- is that a Valentine's Day sin? But I think of this as a warm romantic dish anyway.

Sour Cream Sugar Cookies- What is V-Day without sugar cookies? Whether you make them for your hubby, your kids class, your co-workers or to munch on during your chick flick, you are gonna need to make batch of these. Don't forget the pink frosting- Studies show icing tastes way better when its pink.

Chocolate Covered Strawberries- Remember Theresa's post for a Father's Day Bouquet? I will warn you: Your's will not look as perfect as hers but its the thought that counts right?

Easy Chocolate Mousse- Seriously, the easiest dessert you can make from scratch for Valentine's Day.

xoXoxO- Holly

1 comment:

Theresa said...

Yum. I think I will be making a bunch of these this month!